27 September 2016

Tanzania, Type 1 and Privilege

Here's the article I wrote for Type 1 International, an amazing organisation advocating for equal access to insulin and medical care. Visit the original on their website here Type 1 International

I am so lucky. I don’t think this is something that is written much here, but I am. Living here has made me realise this. Two years ago I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. I had just accepted a teaching contract at an international school in Tanzania, quit my job and was moving out of my flat. I had a choice: continue with my plans to move to Tanzania, or not. Choice is the key-word. I choose to be here.

People in this country do not have much. The average income is about $750 per year. I cannot begin to understand their struggle. I live here as an “expatriate.” I don’t really understand that word, but basically, I am white, I have a job, I have medical insurance.

When I was diagnosed, I was living in Australia. I received incredible care and education. So much so, that I was able to take control of my diabetes and move overseas within six weeks. Not only did the diabetes education I receive give me the power to manage my condition independently, growing up in a developed country gave me the education and skills to understand my condition. I can read. I can access the internet. I can educate and inform myself. The place I was born is what has enabled me to manage type 1 while living in a developing country.

I moved here with two years’ worth of insulin, 1000s of needles, and boxes full of test strips, all funded by the Australian and New Zealand medical system. When I need a restock, my Tanzanian pharmacist orders what I want from overseas. I cash my receipts with my insurance, and I get reimbursed-for thousands of dollars. Every time I collect my order, I wonder how other T1s here survive.
That said, supplies are not easy. Over the counter, I can buy fairly cheap and nasty test strips and meters. These are great for an emergency, but I found them to be inaccurate. Instead I bulk order better models. This can take time, so I need to be organised. The pharmacist may have small quantities of Novorapid and Lantus, or it could take them a few days to order what I need. This means ensuring I keep my insulin in multiple places in case one lot gets damaged or stolen. Unfortunately my insurance will not cover me for a pump or a CGM, but what I have is so much better than most here.

Power, or lack thereof, is probably the biggest challenge. Again I am privileged. I have a house and workplace with some electricity and a fridge. Most people do not. Despite this, keeping my insulin and glucagon cool is a challenge. Facing daily 12 hour power cuts for 4 months, 7 days without power, I have become creative in keeping my insulin cool, and would now consider myself the expert on this.

For my first endocrinologist appointment here I visited the best hospital in town. It cost me $15 to see an excellent Kenyan endocrinologist plus $10 for my HbA1c blood test. This amount is equivalent two weeks income for the average Tanzanian. The waiting room was packed. I queued for a long, long time with lines of Type 2 diabetics desperate to see the doctor. He was frazzled yet professional when he saw me, and relived to see that I am an easy patient. I know my condition. A good HbA1c result, and off I went. The next time I wanted more, so I travelled to Kenya. I can afford to do this, but I know that others cannot. In Kenya, I had time with the endo, who was not under the immense pressure of the doctor in Tanzania. I had all the required checks that a dutiful diabetic should have. I travel to another country to see my endo, but I am the lucky one.

Emergency care scares me. I question if the hospitals here would know what to do with me in the case of a severe hypo, or a car crash. Still, I am lucky – I have glucagon at home and work. In an emergency my insurance will pay for me to be evacuated by air to world-class medical care in Nairobi. I wonder what happens to the Tanzanian Type 1s? I hate to think…

There are wonderful charities working here to get insulin to the needy. I want to learn more about them because they are so vital. Still, people shouldn’t have to be dependent on a charity. T1International is advocating for access to the essentials and hopes to support sustainable solutions in Tanzania as we learn more about the situation.

I just want to repeat that I am so lucky. I travel, I work, and I live an amazing life here. We go on safari, we camp with lions. We live in a beautiful house under the Acacia trees. There are days when I am so strong. There are days that T1 brings me to my knees, but I have a husband who helps me get back up again. For now, my diabetes is under control, so I can live here. When it isn’t, I can leave. No matter where I live in the world, I will have Type 1 diabetes; that makes me unlucky I suppose. But I have choice, I have education, and I have insulin. My heart aches for those that don’t.

1 comment:

  1. Elisabeth, good article and good points. Living as a diabetic overseas can be unnerving, I'd imagine especially so in a place where the local care can be hit or miss and you have to order stuff from overseas to feel safest. Too bad that the locals don't have the same access that you do; hopefully in the future more people will become aware of this imbalance and it will be addressed. You've made me more aware of it already; as an American living in Japan I actually get better health care here than my home country so your post is eye-opening.

    ReplyDelete