2 January 2016

Kuanza. To Begin.


Many people have said to me I should keep a blog. I can understand why. Life has been fairly tumultuous this last year and a half and people are curious. The internet is full of adventurous, healthy ,young people blogging about their travel, so I think my situation is unique in doing this with the odds stacked a little bit more against me. Until now though, I think I have needed time to process just what has happened, and come to terms with how much my life has changed.

A few weeks ago I was pulling out of my drive, trying to get to work, and two Massai men walked by with their flock of goats. While I was waiting for them to pass I pricked my finger and checked my blood sugar before the chaos of the day began. Something came upon me and I saw this through the eyes of others. The beauty of the scene; the bag of needles and supplies on my lap and my vulnerability in being here, the Massai in their red checked shukas and tyre sandals, the bells of the goats chiming and the lush surrounds caused by the rains, all with Mt Meru looming. Suddenly I felt the need to share what has become my normal.

Kwa nini? Why? I hope this blog will be therapeutic for me, and I am excited about documenting my experiences. I hope this blog will reach one other T1 diabetic and give them one piece of useful advice. I hope that this blog will help one person make a difficult decision about pursuing an opportunity. I hope this blog will help one person realise that despite your challenges, there can be ways to work around them and with them. I hope this blog will help someone who finds themselves in a similar situation to me 18 months ago, and make them feel a little bit less alone. I hope it will make someone laugh. I cannot believe the changes in perspective that occur going from perfect health to “not,” and I hope I can share what I have learned. 

First post. I hope someone reads it. If you are a friend who knows me but did not know about all these changes, I’ll end with this quote that resonates strongly with me nowadays.  
Cheesy? Yes. True? Absolutely.

“Be kind. Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about.” Ian MacLaren

Dusty African sunrise on my morning commute.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment