24 February 2016

Check-Ups in Nairobi - Getting Care in East Africa

Land border crossing between Tanzania and Nairobi - legitimate excuse for
procrastinating an endo appointment right? 
Last week I traveled to Nairobi, Kenya, for my first big check-up since being in Tanzania, and since being diagnosed. Unfortunately the checkups and advice needed for my diabetes care isn't easily accessible in Arusha. I had one appointment with the endocrinologist at the hospital here, but the long queues of forlorn people outside his door made it clear that it would be difficult to get much of time in the face of such overwhelming need. As such, it is necessary to travel to Kenya for what I need.

High security in "Nairobbery." 
I had heard the private health care in Kenya is world-class, and on the advice of colleagues, booked to see the endocrinologist at the Aga Khan University Hospital in Nairobi. The Aga Khan Hospitals are funded by the Aga Khan, the philanthropist leader of Ismaili Muslims. The service funds hospitals in Kenya, Tanzania (Dar es Salaam), Pakistan, India, Uganda and Tajikstan, and aims to support low-middle income earners in developing countries. I was so impressed by the care I received and I have heard expats saying that it surpasses what they would receive in their home countries. My consultation was only $35 and while this unaffordable for most people in the region, it is significantly cheaper than I would face in the private system at home. The hospital had gardens for patients and was very clean and modern, the staff were friendly and all services and appointments efficient. My endocrinologist was thorough, knowledgeable and kind, and she allayed all my fears and nerves about my first big check-up.

While the drive to Nairobi from Arusha is less than 300km, I had been advised to take a shuttle bus to avoid driving in Nairobi's infamous traffic and to save border crossing issues with a private car. This was a good tip given the navigation and terrifying driving in Nairobi. 8 hours travel for 300kms for an endo appointment is longer than I would like... but it is better than many people in the world have access to. While waiting around for tests and appointments I made the most of Nairobis modern shops and food, stocking up on supplies such
 as decent shampoo and cooking ingredients.

So to summarise my first big check-up as a diabetic - terrifying, adventurous, and oh yeah, terrifying again. I was a bundle of nerves, self-judgement and anxiety for weeks leading up to this. Other T1s, do you all find it so nerve-wracking?! At least in the future I know I can reward myself with Nairobi food and shopping, seems only fair right? X

I was pretty happy when we found an Asian
restaurant... #small things. :)
When you have been in Arusha for a year and a half,
even Nairobi is a foodie holiday. 
The "African massage" is not so great for diabetics.
Trying to psyche myself up to jab on bumpy African
roads is always fun, but I am becoming an expert.  

4 comments:

  1. Elisabeth, this is a really cool article. I've been putting off going to my doctor here in Japan because it's like an hour away by train. But now I'm humbled; your going to a different country for an appointment is actually pretty inspiring. Well done! Keep these tales coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Jeremy! On the plus side I got to visit Kenya! Good luck for your trip... Is there no endo where you are staying?

      Delete
  2. Herpes cure 
    It's a great pleasure for me to write this testimony about how I got my Genital Herpes cured within a month. I have been reading so many comments of some people who were cured from various diseases by Dr Ahmed Usman herbal medicine but I never believed them. I was hurt and depressed so I was too curious and wanted to try DR. Ahmed then i contacted him through his email, he assured me 100% that he will cure me,  and asked me a few questions and the preparation method for which I paid, he sent me herbal medicines and with his prescription and I drank herbal medicine for 21 days and the epidemics on my body were healed after concluding his herbal medicine as instructed by him and went for a check up, to my greatest surprise my result was negative, I am really happy that I am cured and healthy again. I have waited for a month to be very sure I was completely cured before writing this testimony. I did another blood test one week ago and it was still Herpes negative, with no trace of the virus on my blood so I guess its time I recommend him to anyone suffering from Herpes Virus. contact Dr. Ahmed through his official email address: drahmedusman5104@gmail.com or via whatsapp +2348064460510 
    He said he had an herbal remedy for
    diabetes, cancer, fibroid, hyperglycemia, hepatitis,
    HIV, heart disease and liver disease.   

    ReplyDelete