Tips for teaching with T1

When I was first diagnosed, and started learning all about Type 1 management, I thought that there was no way I could continue teaching and manage my health. Luckily some lovely teachers on the reality-check forum assured me that teaching is still a viable career. However, it does have it's share of challenges as it is not always possible to check blood sugar, there is often unplanned physical activity and it is stressful and demanding.

Here are my tips for teaching with Type 1; 

1. Keep your hypo supplies ready and accessible on your desk. Juice is often best as you can quickly sip away, even in the middle of a storytime.

2. Have a little pouch that goes everywhere with you (e.g. swimming class, PE, library). In this I keep a meter and sweets.

3. Keep your needles and insulin out of sight or reach, possibly locked away. It is not worth a curious kiddie or risk-taking teen getting hold of it.

4. Request to be put on lunch duties only. At our school we are expected to do 3 duties per week, I still do this but I just don't do the recess duty, mine are all scheduled for lunchtime. This gives me 20 mins mid-morning to refuel and correct if necessary.

5. Keep back up supplies at work. Nothing more annoying than leaving your insulin at home.

6. It is easy to get caught up in work and ignore hypo symptoms; it is worth talking to one or two colleagues about hypo symptoms and treatment.

7. Talk to the kids about it! It is much better if you are able to say to your kids, "just need to check my blood-sugar," than trying to get by until they are occupied. It helps them develop empathy and compassion, and it can also be used for maths. e.g. developing the language of between, greater, less, than; ratios. Initially they will be very curious but it will soon become routine for them.

8. Tell the parents at the beginning of the school year. I briefly mention it to my parents at our beginning of year meeting. It saves awkwardness later if they come into class and you are checking your sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment